Sherlock & Watson 2.0

Sometimes you pick up a book and it just seems to fit perfectly in your hand and you open up to that first page and the words form pictures in your head from the first sentence. That's how you know you've found an excellent book, and I found one this weekend.
I had heard loads of buzz about A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro, so when I spotted it in Barnes & Noble, I had to take a peek. It hooked me so much that I actually stood there in the bookstore reading the first twelve pages. I bought it, and read another fifty pages that night. After that, I had to physically make myself read it more slowly and still finished it yesterday. It's one of the best mysteries with the best characters that I've read in a long while.
If you're familiar with the old Sherlock Holmes series at all, you'll love this quirky and exciting retelling. One of the main characters and narrator is Jamie Watson, the however-many-greats-grandson of the famous Watson. (Yes, in this book Sherlock and Watson were real, and Watson wrote the original stories.) Sherlock also has descendants, and the closest to Jamie in age is Charlotte Holmes. She's infamous- she's solved cases five steps ahead of Scotland Yard since she could talk. Jamie has always dreamed of meeting her and going on the sort of fantastic adventures that their predecessors did. And through a twist of fate, his wish is granted. He's shipped off to a boarding school in America, just an hour away from his estranged father and less than a ten minute walk from Charlotte Holmes across campus.
Though off to a bumpy start, their friendship is sparked by a very extreme situation- a fellow student is murdered, and Jamie and Charlotte are the prime suspects. As they work to clear their names, they uncover a much more complex plan, with the goal of totally and completely destroying them. Will this modern team of Sherlock and Watson survive?
This book is absolutely fantastic. I was sucked in. Cavallaro is brilliant. Her characters are stunningly created, with layers that appear at just the right times. Her Holmes and Watson bear a bit of resemblance to the originals, but are also wonderful characters in their own right. The plot thickened with each page, and there were so many plots twists I might read the book again just to make sure I caught them all. I fell in love with these characters and their plight. I was solving this mystery with them. I cannot wait until the next book, as we are promised a trilogy!
In the end, this is an excellent read for any mystery lover or anyone that loves Sherlock Holmes and his penchant for twisty crime solving.

(picture courtesy of goodreads.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPH Internship Week #8: Of Pasta and PowerPoints

How to Not Be the Protagonist

A Read Worth Canonizing