Astrological Mayhem

Like I said in my post yesterday, I got a lot of reading done on vacation! On the flight home from the beach, I finished Zodiac by Romina Russell. It was a vivid space extravaganza, with dashes of romance and mystery thrown in for good measure.
We are presented with a world based on the Zodiac. The twelve constellations are home to people that exhibit and value the traits of their sign, even down to their physically appearance. Rhoma Grace is from Cancer, a culture based on water and nurturing relationships. She's a young trainee in the Cancrian academy and a drummer for a band. When disaster strikes one of her planet's moons and sets off a chain reaction of chaos, Rho is suddenly thrust into the limelight as the new head of her people. However, more danger lurks in the far reaches of space. A mysterious figure haunts Rho's Ephemeris, which is her device that shows her the stars and allows her to read them. Fleeing Cancer to warn the other Zodiac houses about the coming danger, Rho is accompanied by two friends- Mathias, a member of the Cancrian Zodiac guard, and Hysan, a young ambassador from Libra. Both of them are hiding secrets from her, but they both also draw Rho in, for different reasons. Can Rho juggle being a leader for her people, dealing with disaster, facing an ancient enemy, and her feelings for the two suitors in her life?
I had mixed feelings about this book. I'm not really a fan of astrology and all that jazz, but the concept of using it as a plot intrigued me and kept me interested. I think I would have gotten more out of it if I was more familiar with astrology and all of the traits that go along with each sign. However, the characters and plot was well driven even without an intense knowledge. Rho was likable, but at times I was a little bit frustrated with her actions. She was so focused on her mission that she missed major keys that could have helped her, and her flip-flopping of feelings between Hysan and Mathias was stressful at times. Like I said though, the excitement of the plot and the vividness of the characters kept me reading and enjoying the book overall. I believe it's the start of a series as well!

(picture courtesy of goodreads.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPH Internship Week #8: Of Pasta and PowerPoints

How to Not Be the Protagonist

A Read Worth Canonizing