How to Not Ruin a Book

College has been insanely busy for the last few weeks, but I've finally had time to finish another book. Searching for inspiration for my creative writing class, I picked up How to Ruin Everything by George Watsky. I had heard a lot of hype about it, and it's got a blurb from Lin-Manuel Miranda on the front, so I had reasonably high expectations. My expectations were thoroughly met.
I've never been an avid reader of essay collections. They always seemed dry and boring, much less exciting than my traditional adventure novels and realistic fiction. I now have a new appreciation for essays and creative non-fiction. It takes talent and work to be able to tell your own stories on the page. Watsky did an amazing job with his essays. This book contained 13, and I loved all of them. If I had to pick favorites, I would say "Tusk", "Three Stories", and "Concert Tickets".
Before reading his book, I knew nothing about George Watsky. I now know that he's a fairly successful slam poet and rapper as well as great writer. The stories he tells are complex and surprising, open and puzzling. In one essay, he might skip from his childhood race on nacho day to acting out in school. Somehow, in telling stories that reflect almost none of my personal experiences, he still relates to me. Or rather, I relate to him. He's lived such a full life. His stories make me want to go on a road trip to the beach or travel the world or run in the rain. He did an amazing job at forming his stories in a way that puts the reader right beside him, every step of the way.
One of the best things about Watsky is his writing style. He creates evocative images and uses sparkling verbs that make what he's describing jump off the page. He's never too formal, sometimes sounding like an old friend regaling you with tales. To give backstory, he expertly backtracks and explains, never straying too far from his original story. His shape is quite unique. He'll start telling a story with a feeling or single moment, and then expand upon it in every direction- what came before, after, and during. I loved every second.
George Watsky is a fantastic writer. He can sweep you up and tell a complex, compelling story in less than 40 pages. If you're a fan of creative non-fiction or just good writing, How to Ruin Everything is the book for you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPH Internship Week #8: Of Pasta and PowerPoints

How to Not Be the Protagonist

A Read Worth Canonizing