Kiss/Spy/Kill?

Hello all! College is again plaguing me with a lack of free time for reading. I finally got a book read because I read it on my phone! Ebooks do have some redeeming qualities. I finished up I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You, the first book in Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl series. I started this series when it first debuted, but fizzled out before it finished, so I'm going back to read them all properly! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Carter's style and spunk.
Our main character is Cammie, also known as "The Chameleon". She's the daughter of spies and now attending an elite spy academy (the Gallagher Academy, where the series gets its name), training to go into the field herself. Aided by her best friends, Bex and Liz, she gets into the average amount of trouble for a teenage spy. Two people come into her life and throw it out of wack- Macey, the rich, snobbish daughter of a prominent senator, and new Gallagher Girl; and Josh, a thoroughly ordinary boy from the neighboring town of Roseville. Cammie is confused by both new arrivals- is Macey a friend or foe, and why oh why did she have to come and ruin the beanbag corner? Is Josh for real or is he playing her? Between juggling these new relationships, speaking a dozen languages, learning to kill a man with a rubber band, and figuring out the new Covert Operations teacher, will Cammie ever get any sleep?
Ally Carter is an excellent writer. Her leads, which have been female in all her series, (which I appreciate) are not only kick-butt, but also sensible (for the most part), spunky, smart, and caring. They have good relationships with their parents and friends and mostly don't do dumb things. They leap off the page with Carter's quirky asides and parenthetical comments. She rocks the first person POV, letting us inside the head of our narrator and seeing the action through their eyes. She knows her stuff, obviously having researched spy techniques and lingo extensively. I always look forward to any of her writing.
Overall, Ally Carter has put together a great spy novel in the form of a YA adventure. I'm excited to read the rest of the series (there are five more books) and hear the rest of Cammie's story. If you're looking for a fun teen romp, a spy adventure, or a romantic and comedic story, I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You is the book for you.

Plot: A
Characters: A
Book Overall: A



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPH Internship Week #8: Of Pasta and PowerPoints

How to Not Be the Protagonist

A Read Worth Canonizing